[sanewall-dev] Distribution

Phil Whineray phil.whineray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 22:49:42 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 03:56:45PM -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Where do we stand on getting sanewall into distributions?
> >
> > AFAIK, it's not in Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, CentOS.
> >
> > I can probably do the Debian and Gentoo packaging at this point. I'm
> > not a dev for either project, but I've got experience building
> > packages for both. Ubuntu might be a tad stranger, simply owing to
> > their use of Upstart. In theory, systemd isn't supposed to be too
> > hard, so it should be possible to support both sysvinit and systemd on
> > Gentoo.
> >
>       I think if we can put it in Debian, ubuntu is easier. By that I
> mean they keep worrying about upstream compatibility. But, I can try
> to do the ubuntu madness. In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson,
> what can possibly go wrong?

Not too much, I hope!

If it helps, the bits I have been using to produce the .deb and .rpm
downloadables are here:
  http://git.sanewall.org/sanewall-packaging.git

It should be possible to hack build-deb and setup.sh around to just use
the downloadable tar if you wanted to avoid having to deal with any
documentation-building dependencies (like java, ant, and docbook in
the experimental tree).

The .deb works as is on Ubuntu, I don't know if the use of sysvinit would
be a blocker for distribution.

The main thing I think needs consideration is what to do if firehol is
already installed. Currently sanewall steals the configuration but it
should probably play nicer than that.

I think the Debian maintainer for firehol may be subscribed to this list,
IIRC he was considering orphaning the package - I don't know if that
happened.

I have been trying to motivate myself to write a proper manual before
getting onto more interesting things. Perhaps I should go with what is
there now, so we can move on, get the ipv6 bits included and hopefully
distributed.

I have a complete set of manpages which I am happy with but no other
manual content (or website, really, as people have noted). Turns out I
have high standards and low motivation when it comes to documentation;
probably a bad combination...

Phil